View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Art of War--problems with ePub, LRF, and Mobi

Greetings!

I would like some wise recommendations as to how to fix up the attached ePub, LRF, and Mobi files so they will be as professional as their respective format's limitations allow.

The Mobi one seems to be the best quality of the lot--I suspect even without help I could tweak it into shape somehow. Though help would certainly be welcome.

One thing all three formats deal poorly with are my two "faked" ordered list items. The Art of War--or, at least, this translation of it--has two list items that are labelled "5, 6." and "13, 14." respectively. HTML has no support for such arbitrary numbering (i.e.: two numbers for the label of a single list item) of <LI> unless one uses an image (which, I imagine, is as wrong as it is inelegant a solution).

For your convenience, I also include the source HTML file (i.e.: taowde_for_epub.zip) wherefrom I converted to ePub, and subsequently to the LRF and Mobipocket formats.

As inelegant as my "faked" list items are... thus far I have been only able to think of even more inelegant/stupid/manually-intensive solutions that I'd like to avoid (i.e.: give up using ordered lists, and use tables with invisible borders and manually entered numbers for the "list" labels).

The ePub would have been second-best, was it not for the fact that it literally lets some text run off the visible page, beyond the margins... for no valid reason that I can tell. (i.e.: it's not a PRE encased section)

It, unfortunately, also seems to have no concept of small capitals (or at least does not use them when an EM tag with a specific class attribute mandates that it do so).

There are, I think, also other minor formatting snafus.

The LRF is messed up here and there and everywhere... but at least, unlike the ePub, does not seem to render any portion of the book literally unreadable.

----------

To be clear, I am asking for suggestions that would put me on the right track quicker and will result in the files improving in ways that might not occur to a beginner like me. I don't necessarily need too much hand-holding or verbatim instructions, as I am reasonably handy.

I will be very curious to see whether either of these three can reasonably approach the quality of the custom-sized PDFs... the mobi file seems most likely so far, from a Sony PRS-505 perspective at least.

Thanks in advance!

- Ahi
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Art of War - Sun Tzu.epub (84.7 KB, 648 views)
File Type: lrf The Art of War - Sun Tzu.lrf (156.0 KB, 407 views)
File Type: mobi The Art of War - Sun Tzu.mobi (195.5 KB, 714 views)
File Type: zip taowde_for_epub.zip (27.0 KB, 382 views)
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote