Thread: PRS-950 strange battery issue
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Ok, I'll throw my experience into the ring! I have the 350 and have never let it drain down all the way before recharging. I've plugged it in overnight and let it charge when it was at 2 bars. This past week I had something odd happen. I hadn't used the reader in about 2 weeks and naturally it did a full shut down.

I was working the advanced polls for the Canadian elections so wanted to bring my reader if/when there was downtime so charged it overnight. I unplugged it in the morning yet by noon it was down to 3 bars. By dinner it was down to 2. By late evening it gave me the low battery warning. WTH??? Ok, charged it overnight again. Over the next day and a half I got the same results. I watched the battery drain to nothing.

I don't take notes and don't use the slideshow. I did a full shutdown and restart and read the device with no bars until I bed when I charged it again overnight. I'm on day 2 now with that charge and still on 4 bars.

Very weird! I'm wondering if it's because I never drained it fully since getting it mid-February. Any thoughts on that?

I wasn't impressed with Sony service. They said they'd take it and either replace the battery on MY unit or replace my unit with a refurb which may have some blemishes. I'm really picky about my stuff. I have a pristine unit. I don't want one with blemishes of any sort on it. When I asked what happens if I get a refurb and am unhappy with it because of said blemishes I was told it's their discretion and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I understand their position but by the same token this thing isn't even 3 months old!! I don't want a 'blemished' unit.

Do you guys think that draining the battery to nothing twice and then doing an overnight charge will 'make it normal' again? I want a working reader but would really rather not send it in and possibly get stuck with a 'blemished' unit.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote