View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
Question Table of Contents generated even when not needed

I'm converting a LIT to MOBI. A few of the files I have here already have a valid, linked Table of Contents at the beginning of the file. Yet calibre still builds one as well.

Checking preferences, I do not have the Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents box checked. And to try to get it to not be generated, I tried it both with and without the next box checked, Do not add detected chapters to the Table of Contents (no difference whether that's checked or not).

So since there's already a valid Table of Contents there, what do I have to do so that Calibre doesn't create it's own and set it as the primary.

Also, if I mouse over the Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents, the tool-tip given there runs contrary to what the setting says. So perhaps I'm not understanding that preference setting correctly. On mouse over, it says, Normally, if the source file already has a Table of Contents, it is used in preference to the autodetected one. With this option, the autodetected one is always used.

The 2 instances of autodetected that I bolded is what doesn't make sense since the autodetected one should refer to the one already existing in the file, and auto-generated should be the one that calibre creates. If I'm understanding this setting correctly, those two words in the tool tip need to be changed to auto-generated.

If that's not right, perhaps it's the other way around, and the setting should actually read [b]Force use of auto-detected Table of Contents[/b[ instead. Which is actually what I want to do... use the TOC already detected in the file.

Any help?
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote