View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
So, one thing I can't figure out from looking at the site and the sample photos -- what would you say the resolution equivalence is for the devic? I mean, 300dpi scans seem to be good enough to do excellent OCR for me, which produces a file that's roughly 2550x3300 pixels (the vertical pixel count is often lower, of course, since very few books are actually the size of a full 8.5x11" scanning area. On the other hand, TWO pages of a hardback are often a very close 8.5x11" fit, so you end up with one 2550x3300 pixel image covering two pages, or two 2550x1650 images when the scan is split in half (as FineReader does automatically).

2550x3300 correponds roughly to an 8MP camera, but of course with the bookripper device, each page is done separately, so you only need a 4MP camera to get the equivalent. But as you pointed out, megapixel rating is not the only thing that counts...

So what kind of resolution are you able to achieve with your average digital camera, mounted at the distance the bookripper device mounts it at?
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote