Thread: DRM confusion
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #28
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

I gather I missed all the hoopla earlier in the year when the Agency crap hit the fan resulting in higher ebook pricing.
You have not really missed it, more like you have landed in the middle of it. It is still going on. If you look elsewhere in these forums there is at least one thread where people are giving their estimates for how long this 'war' between the Publishers and their eBook Customers is going to continue.

Some say years.

Probably if you are not technology-oriented you will want to go with the Amazon camp. If are technology-oriented and I say 'software scripts' to you and that means something then you have a chance to go with buying books and removing the DRM.

Is it easy? Some on these boards say 'yes it is' and some say 'no'. The majority are probably in the 'yes' camp.

If you are intending to buy books for your daughter then you will probably want to set up a library/directory for her non-DRM books (if you go that route) and have a backup for that location. I am presuming that having non-DRM books laying around in a family situation (his/hers/daughter/son) will ultimately get quite messy over the years.

If big companies turn you off, something that happens from time to time on these boards, then you may want to check out
http://www.kobobooks.com/
which is a good site to browse to see how the smaller companies are dealing with the DRM mess. Look over at the upper right and you will see
Free Apps
and
eReader
which links you can click on and you will see how the smaller companies have to compete with Amazon by providing applications to read on a multitude of devices and then their own, individual, hardware reader.

Kobobooks sells books with DRM, just not Amazon's DRM. Will you be able to read Kobo DRM books in 20 years when Kobo no longer exists? I have no idea. Will you be able to read Kobo DRM books in 60 years when Adobe no longer exists? I have no idea.

Calibre does not automatically strip off DRM, it has to be set up to do so. So just downloading Calibre will not do it for you. You have to do more research, using Google.

Your most sure-fire, easy, way to go, is to buy an ereader for your daughter from Amazon and set up an account for her with Amazon. The next best bet would be to step into the Adobe DRM camp (Adobe Digital Editions). When you purchase a book, using a PC with Digital Editions on it, the book is transferred onto the PC, inside of Digital Editions, and Adobe DE has its own rules for which devices it will do side-loading onto. A device list is found here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Here is the problem:
a) are you talking about getting ebooks for your daughter to get her through the next couple of years
or
b) since daughters tend to grow up are you talking about setting up a digital library she can take with her when she is twenty?

b) is a big deal, and will probably stretch your and our patience!
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote