View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #128
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Isn't that what the Samsung Ativ is?
Good question.

A more modern (and much less expensive) version of the Ativ with a fully vetted W8 and a 300 ppi screen might be closer to that. Aren't Samsung developing that line closely with MS anyway, and isn't Ativ simply the name which Samsung gives mobile devices that run a version of Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
Because those Windows 8 apps would never, ever track everything you do in order to send you targeted ads.
Every OS I've used does compromise privacy to some degree with the exception of the update-discontinued Ubuntu I still use on my netbook (and which, Canonical and others are saying, can be ported to the Nexus 10).

But you'd have to be a slavering loyalist not to admit that Google's especially bad in that regard.

(Anyone on MR ought to be able to admit the drawbacks of their favorite devices and companies, and they ought to be able to do so without then being beaten to death by members of Team Not That Company.)

Whichever gadgets you choose involve particular compromises. That aspect of Google is the worst thing about the company (don't be evil, indeed), but everything else seems so good that people are willing to pretend Google is perfect.

Why would anyone choose an iPad over a Nexus 10 looking at specs, cost, customization and upgrade schedules? The screen's even made by the same company that confected the Retina. Apple's ecosystem's their ever-dwindling claim of superiority, but out of fairness, I might risk being even more unpopular on MR and add that an iPad owner potentially has more privacy than a stock Nexus 10 user.

On the nether hind, I own an Android phone currently and am considering the Nexus 10 myself, so if it's all right with you, Edward, I'd rather not get into a religious war about Google vs. MS and the back-and-forth deployment of the Great Cudgel.

I'm just wondering what will happen if Samsung does the same thing for the Surface in 2013 that it's just done for the Nexus 10 in 2012.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-13-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote