View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
"How's that shroud coming along, Penelope?": The Odyssey Thread

There's interest in a group read of The Odyssey, so here's a tentative outline. Suggestions welcome; this isn't set in stone.

Reading six books a week seemed to work well enough for The Iliad, so I propose a similar schedule. To give people time to line up their preferred editions and to slot it in, I thought we could plan to have finished the first six books on May 7 and continue from there, wrapping up on May 28. As before, people are welcome to comment and question as they read, especially in the week before a particular chunk is due. Again, we can tweak this by consensus.

I really, really liked the Fagles's translation of The Iliad, so I suspect I'm going to choose that one. The last time I read it, it was Fitzgerald; that also is a possibility. Just as a personal take, I think the translations in the public domain are a more difficult read than the more recent copyrighted editions. For enjoyment and comprehension, I'd suggest checking out the local library or used book venues if you can't find an ebook that fits your wallet.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote