View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I can't decide if I want to try reading this book. The Kennedy assassination fascinates me, but I gave up on Stephen King way back around Firestarter--the only books of his I like are Carrie and Salem's Lot.
Well, I'm 17% of the way in and I'm loving it so far.

Like you and a lot of other people, I was an early King fan but lost interest after a few stinkers, which began for me with The Tommyknockers and went downhill from there. From King's On Writing: "By 1985 I had added drug addiction to my alcohol problem, yet I continued to function, as a good many substance abusers do, on a marginally competent level. I was terrified not to; by then I had no idea of how to live any other life... In the spring and summer of 1986 I wrote The Tommyknockers, often working until midnight with my heart running at a hundred and thirty beats a minute and cotton swabs stuck up my nose to stem the coke-induced bleeding."

Now I wouldn't be one to say that an alcoholic drug addict can't be an excellent writer as well, but in King's case it apparently didn't work out, by his own account. And it went on for years.

There's a round-up of all the professional reviews of 11/22/63 over at metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/bo...y-stephen-king

No spoilers there, just a brief excerpt from each review which reflects the reviewer's general impression.

Of the 25 reviews, there's 1 "Mixed" and 24 "Liked it" or "Loved it".

Come on, give it a shot. You know you want to.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote