View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I just noticed you said you were using wild cards with that search string. If that is the case, then the hang is not a bug in Sigil, the problem is with your search string.

What you had is called Regex Catastrophic Backtracking. Matching that string takes an exponential amount of time, so Sigil just keeps trying to match it, counting the chars, backtracking, counting more, backtracking etc.

With that search string used as a wildcard, you would hang everything from Perl to grep to any other application. Read the linked page.

Long story short, the bug is in your search string.
I realize that

There needs to be a graceful way to abort when you mess up

I lost my un-saved work because the only way was Kill Process
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote