View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Unable to open the default dictionary

Hello. I have some problems with various dictionaries for Kindle DX.
I've created a Romanian dictionary (I want to upload it here also, but first to be sure it is OK), which is working fine, but only if in Mobipocket Creator I set the input and output languages as English. Weird. Working fine means I don't get an error "Unable to open the default dictionary, please go to Settings and choose a different dictionary" when performing a search. I told myself it's my fault, well, I don't know how to build a dictionary. So I downloaded a free French dictionary, and, while reading a French book, if I type a word and click Dictionary (after using the 5-way button going right a few times) I get the same error message. Both were .PRC files from internet, I didn't touch them, but still I get the same error, so something else is going on. If somebody else has some experience with foreign dictionaries, is this normal? Kindle DX doesn't like dictionaries set in foreign languages?
I'm attaching some pictures, maybe it's more clear this way. First capture is the French book, the second is when I type a search-term, then I choose Dictionary and I get the error explaind (but the dictionary is there, in the background). If I click Close and after select the Dictionary button I get the looked for page. But why the error?
Thank you for your ideas debugging this.
Best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6432.gif
Views:	446
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	36940   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6433.gif
Views:	422
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	36941   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6434.gif