View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
My kids are grown up now so I've never heard of Deary. But it seems to me he's missing the point of libraries - afaik they are all about promoting literacy as a social good. In the wider view, as an author he stands to benefit - more literacy; more demand for books in general.

There's also the indirect benefit to him personally. If parents become familiar with his books they are more apt to buy them - it's kind of like free advertising, or an introductory special.

Deary seems like a narrow-minded sourpuss to me with a very self-serving view of the world. Literacy doesn't exist to serve his purpose; he's privileged to have a gift for writing and honoured to have many adoring readers. He's making a contribution to society and co-incidentally making a good living. So, what's he whining about?
My dad used to have a saying,"Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope." What he meant was that some people can't be satisfied no matter what the situation and the unfortunate truth is that he was right.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote