Thread: corrupted dbase
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
My big fear however is that if the database ever gets corrupted, all my data is in that one big, corrupt metadata.db file. I don't like having all my hard work residing in one file. Because my backup is automated daily, the corrupted db file will be backed up too.
I solve that issue in two ways. First, my entire disk backup goes back many days. I can return to the last good copy of metadata.db up to 2 months back. Second, before my backup triggers, my backup program runs a batch file. In that batch file I copy metadata.db to metadata.db.1, etc.. I keep 6 copies for the last 6 backups, all the way to metadata.db.6 It's a very simple rename, of metadata.db.1->metadata.db.2, etc. before copying the current metadata.db to metadata.db.1.

I have yet to see a corrupted metadata.db, but if I ever do, I've got all 6 copies backed up every day for months.

I didn't mention it, but I also worry about the changes introduced in the beta version. There are lots of new features, user defined fields, saved searches, etc. and much of that stuff is also stored in metadata.db. That file is pretty small and really should get backed up, regardless of whether you also save opf and jpg files separately.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote