View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
NAO
NAO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Which one for unprotected pdf books in PD?

My main application for an e-reader will be for the massive library of out-of-print, public domian books that I have amassed as PDF files.

I don't see many of the books I would buy available from any of the big vendors, so it's safe to say I'll be loading nearly all of my own content.

Now I've used the Mobipocket Creator to convert my PDF books into .prc ebooks; then I've used the Mobipocket Reader to view the output to get a kind of simulation of what I'll be doing with my device.

Since Sony doesn't support unprotected Mobipocket files, and I've read that it doesn't do well with PDFs, I THINK that rules out the Sony 505.

So now I think it's down to either Amazon Kindle or iRex iLad.

Any suggestions or tips? Remember, I don't plan to buy much content - I am going to convert or import unprotected PDFs so I don't have to print them out (which is what I have been doing).

My main concerns center around quality of the display output - the ability to control the font size, the line spacing, retention of the paragraph format, and retention of some semblance of the original text layout - so that it seems as if I am reading printed PDF files.
NAO is offline   Reply With Quote