View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #425
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If Amazon had a clue, they would have modified the Serial Number to PID algorithm before releasing the iPhone software. Then KindlePID (with minor updates) would not have worked. The fact that they already knew (or should have known) that KindlePID would generate the PID weakens their case if KindlePID ever ends up in court.

I agree with pdurrant that Amazon could easily introduce a new Serial Number to PID scheme at any time, all it would require is a firmware update and redownloading all existing DRMed Kindle ebooks with the new PID. They could even modify AZW encryption (change it from MOBI encryption), which would close the OverDrive loophole completely and also prevent mobidedrm from working on AZW files. This is an advantage that a single-provider has over DRMed content which isn't easily available to multi-sourced content.

Since the PID was not designed by MobiPocket to be "secret", I doubt any PID modification would remain a mystery for very long. Modifying the encryption scheme would stop mobidedrm in its tracks, but I would not be surprised to see an azwdedrm within a few days of the change.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote