View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #130
redcoatuk
redcoatuk began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
It took a few hours but I managed to get it done. here was the tricky process. I am using a 505, xp, light experience with scripts and programming.

Installed pyphon, three versions, 25, 26 and 30. Ended up using the activestate 26 (richarddooling) as I needed it exactly how a howto thread was laid out (internettablettalk). searched via googles and discovered pastebin. pdurrant on here supplies a version of the script. read darkreversers blog, excellent. scroll to the end to get the up to date stuff. so I got the python, got the script, moved them to my C drive and worked out the paths for command line edit. downloaded an ereader file .pdb and mobi file .prc for a few bucks and got to work. the mobi had me busy for hours. all i got was PID invalid. I read thread after thread about how to fix it, to use apostrophies or not, to miss bits off the PID. my errors were all in the command line syntax and argument.

Some have reported the need to open a book first with mobi prc files, if you do that, the standard windows file location for the opened book with its security file is C:\documents and settings\user\my documents\my ebooks

when using the windows python gui with mobidedrm.py for prc files the argument is: inputfile.prc outputfile.prc PID

when using the windows python gui with ereader.py for pdb files the argument line is: input file.pdb output file.pdb "firstname familyname" 8figurecreditcardnumber

The scripts work a treat and import direct into Calibre which will convert and export to the reader.

Somewhat longwinded but the ebooks you pay for and download are no longer hamstrung with the restrictive stuff.

Finally a big thanks to the script writers and patient experts that give advice. I found it all very helpful and an enjoyable challenge. Keep up the good work.

redcoat
redcoatuk is offline   Reply With Quote