View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #367
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
About the "they copied the contents of my pendrive" scenario: this is the non-issue.
In my proposal, you get freedom in exchange for responsibility. Freedom to own your files and do whatever you want with them, in exchange for the responsibility of being careful about who gets them. So if you don't trust the people around you (other students, coworkers, ...) you should simply not leave your media files around, or encrypt/password protect them.
It's NOT a non-issue. It's a major issue. It's a classic case of blaming the victim. Other people have no right to steal from me, even if I leave my doors unlocked, even if I'm careless, even if I flaunt my possessions around them. Yet you blithely put the onus on the legitimate owner.

You are putting all the responsibility for safeguarding the product on the people who bought and paid for it; you're turning them into potential criminals when they are the victims. And yet you keep pooh-poohing this as a "non-issue."
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote