View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Yes, that is the site that I found some time ago. Bob Russell originally sent me a link to the site.

While this volume of the book is published in 1930, it is credited to Dr. Eicot who died in 1926, thus it is out of copyright everywhere in the world perhaps except the US.

There are several problems in producing an ebook from this extract and in using this guide with the Harvard Classics as published on MobileRead.
  1. The MobileRead Harvard Classics do not have fixed page numbers. Thus Patricia's Volume 1, page 79 may be my Volume 1, page 124 since I may be using a larger font size than her. This can also vary from device to device and Nick may view his files on a REB1200 while I would use a Sony PRS-500.
  2. The original page numbers were not preserved (even when they were available in the page scans) from the source materials.
  3. The source material provided by Nick contains hyperlinks to pages outside the text that must be edited.
That said, the additional editing to remove the header, footer, and internal page numbers is very trivial.

We can do the volume from these files. Given the stated limitations the question is, "Does it serve any real purpose to add this volume to the collection?"
If I converted the .doc to .html and made a .imp ebook, any hyperlinks that were external (or not found) would be simply ignored. In that case, would you need to edit the hyperlinks out? How would BD handle this?

Yes, 'making reference to page numbers' is a chronic problem with ebooks viewed on varied sized ebook readers. While I do think page numbers are useful, I would surmise that I would "struggle" through without them and circumvent this limitation by either giving up on the link or being creative in sourcing the true page referred to.

So, I still believe it would be of great value to have Volume 52 in ebook format. Case in point, Volume 50, the Index one, has the same problem referring to page numbers (maybe that's what's holding it back from being converted into ebook format :dig: :dig: )

Any other comments/ideas? Can I help with an "all-in-one" file?

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote