View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #486
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMartin1959 View Post
I'm somewhat familiar with symbolic links, not so with junctions. Would those be something that might have been created by Calibre itself? As far as I am aware I have not done anything manually which would have created such things.

AFAIK calibre makes no use of symlinks or junctions, so if they did exist they would have been created by you via the 'ln' command or some other program, as I said 'it's a long stretch'. Junctions are similar to and 'sort of' deprecated by folder symlinks. Interestingly they played a role in Stuxnet.

With additional playing around I may have discovered that the "sort groups by number of duplicates" may be partly to blame (not 100% sure). When I remove that option, the search will complete after a few hours. But why that option should cause minutes to become hours and hours to become days, I don't know.
@LDMartin1959 - I can only imagine that the sort is being done whenever a duplicate is found (ie 2,000 duplicates = 2,000 sorts), rather than once at the end of search - hard to believe but.

If binary duplicate searching of this ilk is an ongoing need then you might want to consider using a separate tool to find them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote