View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
Given how much of a disaster the CONNECT software has been so far, I wouldn't place bets on that. Sony has never been a player in the Mac market, notwithstanding Final Cut Pro's last upgrade. Depending on how the original was coded (and Sony does not own it, iirc) porting to a different platform could be major pain for a small market segment.
I think I read somewhere that the Connect Software for the book side was functionally a separate deal from the music side. I don't know what that might mean for this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
...PS3 and Reader delays just don't stop coming....
That may be a bit unfair, well okay: not the PS3 part.

What I mean is that the first announced release date on the Reader (that I know of -- let me pre-admit I could be under-informed here ) was April~May. The second one, August, was apparently colonically generated by the PR firm, and the last, "Fall, in time for the Holidays" with PC Mag saying sometime in October, hasn't come yet, by any interpretation.

I submit that the August date doesn't really count, since it doesn't seem to have been based on anything more than the PR firm's burning urge to put out "a date." Which leaves only one real delay (so far).

Add to that the fact that of the three e-ink readers slated to release in spring of '06, exactly none of them made it. Sure iRex let themselves be pressured into a beta-oid release about a month later, but look at the flack they've gotten as a result! I imagine they've spent at least a few moments wondering whether that was such a good idea.

All I'm saying is maybe we should let them pass more than one deadline before we accuse them of unending delays on the Reader. I'm not saying that they haven't had any delay, only that characterizing it as unending might be just a slight exageration.

I've been called an optimist before, go ahead, I can take it!

Of course the reason we're all so spirited in our disgust with the lack of a launch to date, is that we want the thing! So I join you in hoping for a quick release. I feel like that lady in the old Mervyn's commercial, standing at the locked doors, tapping on the glass and chanting "open, open, open ...." except, she knew the sale started that day.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote