View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #90
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know what you're saying -- and I'm happy for him -- but it kind of goes both ways. Others have tried to show why the Galaxy S5 doesn't make a Kindle obsolete. I'm guessing -- somewhere -- there are still folks reading books on a Palm Treo. Most of us would consider that "obsolete," but if they're happy reading books that way, what difference does it make?
These two phrases are significant and I like them: "It kind of goes both ways" and "What difference does it make?"

Professing disproportionate pleasure and overreacting to an expression of pleasure are similar acts. What I appreciate about Simaru's posts is this: he hasn't insulted anyone else while expressing himself.

I agree that it doesn't make a difference whether someone is happiest with a Galaxy S5 or a Treo. What might make a difference is being secure enough with our own choices to listen to someone else's -- however fervently expressed -- without feeling compelled to discredit them.

Yes, obsolete is an odd word for someone to use in a discussion about their own preferences and habits. Even so, a word can mean different things to different people, and it's clear that what's being communicated is not consumer tech prophecy but personal enjoyment.

In the cold Trailways bus depot of life, the occasional misfire doesn't seem terribly important to me. I don't know about you, but I'm fine with impassioned endorsements. There's no lockdown on emotional content; disillusionment will always get enough air time.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote