View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's more flexible because it IS tiles, which you can freely rearrange as you wish - more flexible than icons on the desktop (eg you're not limited to the dimensions of the physical screen), and a LOT more flexible than the "Start" menu. Yes, it's clearly inspired by tablet UIs such as the iPad and Android.
OK, I'll grant you that it is more flexible if you have more icons than would fit on a single screen. But I can fit 187 icons on my 19" desktop. I certainly don't want the ability to add more instead of the start button. What makes sense on a tablet or phone doesn't always make sense on a PC.

The start button menu can be configured in many different ways. You can even rename stuff so it makes sense to you (A novel idea I'm sure with the youngest iOS and Android generation). Combined with icons you can have both one click access to your frequent stuff and easy access to everything else through a logical menu. It's hard to get more flexible than that. In my opinion anyway.

In any case, my point is that it was ridiculous to exclude that in an OS meant to be used on PCs.

Last edited by pl001; 02-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote