View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@boatat72,
I'm not too worried (for my own purposes) if I have to lose nbsps in scenebreak ornaments - a single standard space between the bullets/asterisks is acceptable for my personal reading. It's the 'empty paragraphs' that are more problematic.

Re: problems on Sony readers. I think this is an unrelated issue. I do not experience any problems with 'special characters' on any of my Sony readers. This is probably because I never use the hopeless Sony default font to read anything. I expect this problem would go away for you too if you customised your epub fonts, several methods exist depending on which Sony model you're using.

@cybmole,
Hmm, I hadn't considered that there may be a difference depending on whether one was using 32-bit or 64-bit. I'm still using WinXP SP3 32-bit.

I've attached a sample 1-page epub (calibre conversion from html). If you have time, perhaps you could try opening it with Sigil 0.6.2. These are the problems I see:
  1. On opening - an error message "Not well formed, cannot perform html updates: Sigil_nbsp.html"
  2. The css <link> in the html header: the original path has been retained
    Code:
    <link href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
    rather than what should happen, i.e. path automatically changed to
    Code:
    <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
  3. Try changing some of the text on the html page, then try to save the epub. I get an error box:
    "The operation you requested cannot be performed because Sigil_nbsp.html is not a well formed XML document.
    An error was found at or above line 14: entity 'nbsp' not found.
    The Fix Manually option will let you fix the problem by hand."
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sigilnbsp.epub (2.7 KB, 150 views)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote