View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #30
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
In your case Bikedr since nook isn't really meant to be a non-US, International device - I don't think Norway's Consumer Protection laws will help all that much.
Yes and no.
As you correctly state; the Nook is not (easily) sold outside US (and I don't live in the US). So, for that part; problem solved, or even non-existing.

For the "yes" part. Any company selling to Norway, in a commercially and tax/vat-able way, actually have to comply with the Norwegian buyer/seller laws and regulations. Those, amongst quite a few other regulations, clearly states that a "regret form" has to follow the merchandise (if bought via internet) and that gives the customer a no-need-to-explain full return right at sellers cost within 14 days. If that form *is not* sent/provided, the return right is 3 months.

As I mentioned, I got a new HDD including compensation for document recovery. The disk was close to 2 years old, but still well within the "return if factory failure" d.t the MTBF of 50.000 hours, thus giving the right to return/replace the disk for a full 5 years. And that wasn't even an internet purchase.

So, what does this mean?
I have a Kindle 3. What is the life expectancy of this one? Amazon states a one-year limited warranty. If the Kindle is supposed to last "significantly longer than" 2 years, then I should be able to get a new cost free if it fails before two years. If it's supposed to last for 5 years or more, then the factory-failure-return should guarantee me a new one within 5 years of purchase.

I bought the Kindle off of a US site you say?
Yes, but Amazon charged me the Norwegian VAT which they will pay the Norwegian government. Thus, they are registered in the Norwegian VAT register, and so also underlain Norwegian regulations.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote