View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #73
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
It seems to me that this discussion, apart from interesting debate on single points, has proved one thing: that the starting point, i.e., my proposal for a mandatory "exchange window" for purchases of media content, does not stand a chance of success. If we at MobileRead, who are all media consumers and are likely more self-conscious in that role than the average, didn't feel that my idea is convincing, all the more so it would be for the general public or media companies.
(Of course I wasn't really thinking of proposing anything to stakeholders: I only wanted to set up a bit of collective brainstorming.)

However, some food for thought emerged (for me, at least) from the discussion; so the net result is positive. Thank you, most especially to Elfwreck, for your contributions.

That said, my humble opinion remains that the media market urgently needs a novel distribution model. Any delay will probably bring collateral damage to the general freedom of the Internet, as media companies seem determined in trying to change everything and everyone to avoid accepting that *they* have to change.
I didn't expect to come up with a viable solution myself. However, it would have been interesting to read -in this thread- other proposals, alternative to mine.
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote