View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer hidden voting. It's more democratic.
This is a puzzlement. In both systems, everyone gets a vote and the polls are open long enough so that everyone has the chance to vote. That's as democratic as it gets.

That said, part of a vibrant democracy, it seems to me, is to encourage the free and open exchange of ideas and infomation. There's a tendency with closed votes for people to feel they can't discuss the process, so if I had to choose one option as being less democratic, it would be a closed vote. But in truth, so long as there's equal opportunity to vote, it's all democratic to me. Open or closed, people will pick whatever seems their best option given the infomation they have, so the issue becomes which option encourages participation. And it seems obvious to me that's an open vote.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote