Thread: Arc Kobo Arc
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #66
skouly
skouly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, HP TouchPad
Comparison of Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc

In response to RJD from Nov 25: I am also interested in getting a newer smaller tablet, since I currently have an HP Touchpad that is just a bit too large to read e-books on. I was set on purchasing a Google Nexus 7, since it is about half the weight and physical size of a Touchpad, but has better resolution and will run all the Android apps I need effortlessly (where my Touchpad is now rapidly becoming useless due to the lack of new WebOS apps).

I have actually already purchased a Nexus 7, but haven't opened the box yet. I wanted to be sure the Nexus will give me what I want in a small tablet.

I went to my local Indigo bookstore where they had both the Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc, side to side and was allowed to tinker with both for about an hour and a half (I know someone there who appreciated my tech knowledge). I allowed each unit to download all the current updates and set both up with similar apps, also disabling auto brightness and bringing both up to full brightness.

I did this twice at 2 different stores (the second was at a local Chapters bookstore).

The Kobo Arc is noticeably brighter and punchier than the Nexus 7. Both are very bright in daylight and both have great black levels, with the Nexus 7 possibly having a bit darker blacks, but this was very hard to confirm, as I could not lower the store lights (the brighter/punchier Kobo display was very evident). An HD picture of a grizzled Bob Dylan on the Arc almost appeared 3-D compared to the Nexus 7 display due to the punchy, bright colours and contrasts. I also did the "Sunset on Mars" test, looking up a very high res image of a "Sunset on Mars" image on Google and zoomed up the display to full. The image on the Arc was beautiful and clear, the image on the Nexus 7, while also quite nice, showed dithering around the sunset, which has been discussed in other forums and by a prominent display research website.

The sound on the Arc was clearly better. At full volume for the identical video, I only had to go to about 55-60% on the volume slider on the Arc (with SRS activated - Bass on 70% and Treble on 50%) to get an identical sound output (I used a sound meter app on my phone to compare and my ears confimed the volume). The Arc, at full volume, could be heard across the large bookstore (and got me a warning from store staff!).

What was quite surprising was the speed advantage the Kobo Arc had in loading Fruit Ninja HD. I started both at the same time and the Arc was up and playing a full 5 seconds quicker. I thought this was odd and started another game, Gun Zombie: Hellgate, and again, the Arc loaded up quicker than the Nexus 7.

This was so surprising to me because the Nexus 7 has a quad core processor. So I did some online research and saw that the dual-core 1.5 gHz processor in the Arc actually benchmarks higher than quad-core 1.3 gHz processor in the Nexus 7 in most benchmarks, or ties the Nexus 7, at the least, even in GPU and gaming benchmarks for FPS.

The Nexus 7 is arguably nicer looking, as the edge to edge glass looks very sharp and current. However, in online research, there a great deal of folks who have complaints about easily broken displays. This makes sense, as any contact with a floor or desktop from any significant height would hit a glass edge causing glass to be compressed and cracked. The Arc, while looking more plain, has a raised bezel all the way around the glass. Not as nice looking, but perhaps very functional.

The Nexus 7 is smoother than the Arc when scrolling and flicking between screens. Not much better, but noticeably. I would like to see how the Arc does with Jellybean installed. I suspect it will be as smooth as the Nexus 7, because it's not far off now.

I really like the Nexus 7 USB-OTG capability, which allows connection to USB sticks, USB drives, etc. for extra storage (which requires software, but no longer requires rooting, just an app, Nexus Media Importer). This is something the Arc doesn't support.

I don't know how the batteries compare in actual use, as I doubt the nice folks at the bookstores were going to allow me to play with the tablets for 10 hours or so (neither would my wife!). I also want to mention that I don't work for any of these companies, nor do I own any stock. I am just looking at spending close to $1000 to buy 3 identical tablets (one for myself and 2 as gifts, with accessories) and want to make sure I get the best value available for our needs.

I have a new Nexus 7 on my dining room table and have already ordered the USB-OTG cable for it from eBay already, but I have to admit, I am probably going to return the Nexus 7 and buy 3 Kobo Arcs. If Jellybean were available now, I think it would be a no-brainer to choose the Arc over the Nexus 7. As it stands, the Arc has a better display, better sound, very fast processor that apparently gives up nothing to the Nexus 7, while the Nexus 7 looks nicer, has Jellybean right now and is a bit more storage expandable.

Oh, and by the way, since this is mobileread.com, i should mention that I also thought the text was just a bit easier to read on the Arc, at tiny font sizes, than the Nexus 7 (my 14 year old daughter also agreed).

To the folks at Kobo: I think you have a great product in the Arc. I'll admit, I hated the Vox, and I was quite hesitant to look at the Arc due to the Vox deficiencies. If you get Jellybean on there soon (and I know it's "in development now"), I think you have a real winner. Show us that the battery life lasts about as long as the battery life on the Nexus 7 (according to online reviews) and I think you have hit a homerun with the Arc.

My two cents...
skouly is offline   Reply With Quote