View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
And, not to be too flippant, but I shudder at the thought of travelling in the Andes of that time.
Spoiler:
With no draught animals or wheeled vehicles, the Incas built their roads only for walking men and trains of llamas. The roads climbed the slopes of the Andes with flights of steps or tunnels unsuitable for the horses.(101)
Since I am reading on my iPad, I have frequently been using wikipedia to look at images of the places mentioned so that I can visualize what it must have been like.

Spoiler:
I found the description of the Incas as civil engineers and the sophistication of the roads that they built as well as their organized system of "rest stops" and runners to carry messages very interesting. But those suspension bridges sound terrifying!

I find it sad to think about the great loss of artifacts to history as they were broken and melted down into gold and silver for their monetary value and the destruction of various Inca temples for the same purposes. There must have been some superb works of art. This quote had an impact on me.

Spoiler:
The King - who is considered a great patron of the arts - recorded no pleasure over these few lovely objects. They were entrusted to the royal jeweller after their brief public display, and were melted down, as were the other objects left in Seville.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote