View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
[QUOTE=desertblues;2455781]I enjoy reading this historical narrative with its detailed descriptions. It is very well written; I feel myself drawn in this story. John Hemming must have had a though job reseaching all.
It is a big book though and I'm at page 110 of 551. I guess it will not finish it before the end of April.

Spoiler:
He then delivered a declaration known as the Requirement, in which Spanish captains were supposed to inform native populations that the conquerors had been sent by the Emperor Charles in order to bring them the teaching of the true religion, and that all would be well if they submitted peacefully to the Emperor and his God.(87)

I had a similar reaction.

Spoiler:
But an interesting point made by Hemming was that there were a number of far more compassionate and enlightened Spaniards than were represented by the Conquistadors. A Dominican Friar made the following impassioned statement:
"You are in mortal sin . . . You live and die in it, because of the cruelty and tyranny you practise in dealing with these innocent people. Tell me, by what right or justice do you keep these Indians in such cruel and horrible servitude? On what authority have you waged a detestable war against these people who dwelt quietly and peacefully in their own land?"

This is one of the things I like about Hemming. He may have positions of his own but he doesn't just give black and white judgements--he shows the more complex grey areas.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 03-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote