View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
"zomg Apple Tablet will be out RSN" rumors have been around for years. I seriously doubt it will happen, it's a pretty useless device -- as the floundering of tablet PC's to find an audience has already demonstrated.
That's because tablet PCs largely suck and are poorly marketed.

Most are the size and weight of laptops--that's useless for me. Many didn't have real stylus "touch anywhere" support and just moved a cursor around the screen--though I think that's changed.

I think a smaller, lighter, A4 paper sized or smaller tablet could take off if marketed properly.

I don't need a tablet PC. I need a touch screen, electronic sheet of paper essentially. That I can use for reading academic books and articles and highlighting and scribbling notes in the margins like I do on real paper now. Also for taking notes in meetings and so on.

Do that well, and market it right and that can take off. Tablet PCs are too bulky and heavy for that use. Might as well just carry a laptop to meetings and stick with paper books and printouts.

Do that well and add in PDA functions (also huge need for the academic/business crowd that needs the above functions) and it will sell even better. Add in full net surfing, light e-mail, video, games, random apps etc. and sells go further.

I think people on this site have to realize no tablet will be a primary e-reading device. It will really be something for the business and academic type markets who can use it in place of their printed documents, in place of paper for note taking, etc. etc. and that leisure reading wouldn't be a big selling point as it's more comfortable to read a novel on a 5" or 6" reader. Tablets with their bigger screens could do newspapers and magazines better though.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote