View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchkitten View Post
Helen, what do you mean by glitchy. What sort of glitches have you experienced?

I actually went to look the Kobo at an indie retailer near me and I was impressed. I didn't think anyone made dedicated ereaders with dynamic page numbers but that's what the Kobo had. I love how customizable it is in terms of fonts and margins, and the fact there's the option of forcing non-justified text to justify. Also, I was happy that it showed the number of pages left in the chapter, and I actually prefer having a total percentage read to having the total number of pages, though it would be nice to have both. Of the three ereaders I've tried (Nook, Kindle, Kobo) the Kobo is the closest to Stanza (RIP), which was my favorite ereading software. I also though it was comfortable to hold. The rubberized material is so much better than the hard material used by the Kindle Touch.

My main gripe with the Kobo is that it didn't always register my finger taps to move the pages backwards or forwards. I don't like to swipe so that's something I have to think about. Also, the top and bottom margins at the lowest setting were larger than I'd like. My Nook fits a lot more words to a page with the same font and font size. The software wasn't as intuitive as my Nook, which of the three ereaders I've tried is the closest to the iPhone, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

The store I went to only had the glo and the mini. I'm interested to see the Aqua too. Hopefully one of the other local retailers has one on display.
I don't want to knock Kobo overall because the mini at least is a great little reader hardware wise at a great price.

But it and all Kobo readers are missing basic reliability and functionality that we take for granted in other readers.

There are numerous threads in the Kobo forums detailing these problems and the partial solutions that those outside of Kobo have worked hard to develop.

Each firmware revision fixes one thing and generally breaks something else and/or introduces a whole new problem. We have one or more fairly active, very long threads for the latest 2-3 and an overall kobo Bug thread which is also very long and not complete by any means.
Nothing to that extent in any of the other device forums.

I have a mini and an Aura and they are both nice, although I think I like the mini better.

I still would recommend a mini to all but the extreme technophobe because of the nice hardware and the very good price.

For a while I was very annoyed at the double triple page turns, the back button being taken away, the extremely slow opening of the shelf menu, the poor or non functioning or random sorting functions, but I have mostly gotten over it I don't use the dictionaries or wifi so no problems there. 99% of the time I am reading a book and the only problem I have with that is the double/triple page turns, which haven't severely strained my thumb yet.

Helen.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote