Thread: Classic No zoom on PDFs
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tautologico View Post
Good information to know about PDF support in reader devices. I need to read a lot of PDFs with complex layouts, like academic papers which are often formatted in two columns and include equations, graphs, and other images.

So it seems to me that no small device will do for this. Right now I'm thinking about a Kindle DX or a Plastic Logic QUE if it is really good. Any other devices with a big screen and good PDF support?
Yeah Dale's recomendation is a good one esp if you wan't to avoid fussing around with PDF.

While the SONY 600 does have a zoom feature it is a hassle to have to zoom in for each page.

There are other software tools like PDFRead, PDFLRF, and PaperCrop that can convert a text page PDF into an image. PaperCrop is one of the best for reading complicated layouts. However these tools require you to convert the PDF and that takes time.

I tend to read the more complicated PDF on my BlackBery Storm via a program called RepliGo. This tool does a fantastic job rendering complicated PDF, so Ironically I tend to read PDF on a small screen.

I expect one day PDF reflow will be considerably better and all eBooks will have the ability to reflow PDF so screen size will not matter. But today is not that day and a larger screen size will greatly enhance your reading experience especially if you are not inclined to manipulate PDF to fit on a smaller screen.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote