View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #154
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Thanks Hitch,

This will take some finessing on my part to get my clients to accept this... they love their TOC in the back, and now quite a few of them are insisting that all front matter be shifted to the back matter. They want that Amazon sample to be only their text. But I guess I'll just tell them that it's a new Amazon rule... and throw in that "If You Liked This Book" and "Last Page Read" warning. Maybe that will persuade them. Thanks again.
Thirsty:

Please note:
  • I did not say that putting the TOC at the back absolutely would bollix up the SRL or the "If You Liked This Book" function.
  • I do know that the Guide has become more...strident...about location thereof.
  • And I absolutely do know that sometimes--not always--the location of the TOC can bollix up a SRL set elsewhere than the first page of the first chapter. Particularly if the SRL is located before the TOC.
  • I do know that Amazon has claimed that the SRL must be set after the TOC, but then has reversed course on that, both with another firm and then with mine, in a series of incredibly contradictory emails (from a regular guy, in Seattle, at the higher levels of the organization, not some poor CSR working in Mumbai or Manila, stuck with canned texts.)
That's the stuff I know factually. All else is conjecture. So, I'd recommend a moderate course of action--have them buy the damn things, load them and check after they go on sale. When all else fails, it seems that generally, Amazon "defaults" to the first page of Chapter 1. This might be why your clients haven't noticed, and nobody's complained; most readers "flip" the book open to Ch.1. anyway, so....

Thanks, gang, for letting me vent. Although I'm not happier about it today, I do feel less insane, even if only slightly. I can probably put off that vacation at Bellevue (although any type of vacation, after four years, sounds really good to me) for a few months yet. ;-)

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote