View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
tillsbury
tillsbury began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Marvin skipping to next chapter not next page

Hi all, back again (but with a different username as mobileread doesn't want to send me a password reset).

Now, I bought an ipad air today, and hit the problem no doubt lots of others will, in that I can't load Stanza on it because Stanza has disappeared. So here goes the usual annual attempt to see whether there are any usable e-readers out there, except that this time presumably I have no option...

So, trying out Marvin, it seems ok so far. But the epub interpretation seems to leave a great deal to be desired. Although it works on the ebooks included with Marvin, on most of my other epubs there are all sorts of problems. Many books turn to the next chapter rather than the next page when I tap on the right of the screen. I can't read anything beyond the first page of each chapter. This isn't a one-off, it happens on lots of books.

Some others just come up with errors. "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" (downloaded from our local library) comes up with "This page contains the following errors: error on line 1362 at column 8: opening and ending tag mismatch: div line 0 and body", below is a rendering of the page up to the first error"

There follows the first two paragraphs of the book (and nothing else, since Marvin goes to the next chapter not the next page when you right-tap). Page two comes up with another similar error, in which the only thing rendered is the title "Part Two". It makes reading books much quicker, I suppose.

All of these documents are of course fine on Stanza, Megareader, iBooks (the new one) and reading them directly from Calibre.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone got any ideas of other Stanza substitutes that can read epubs?
tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote