View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #71
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Ok. Harry, Here's a trick I accidentally found out the other day after I used the technique you defined in your tutorial to change the Chapter headings from Chapter 1 chapter 2 etc, To the real chapter headings... You should change your tutorial to this way since it saves hours... What I do is load the text, clean the top and bottom of the Gutenberg legalese junk, add the name of the book and author, the contents, then use the element browser under tools to find the "Titles. usually they will be Chapter one chapter two etc. Wiht the real chapter titles assigned as subtitles under each one) Sometimes a chapter or two will not be assigned as a title.. so i click on the chapter that is before the missing ones and scroll to find the chapter that isnt assigned as a title.. Then highlight it and make it a title using the corrector panel, it will appear in the element browser. After I make sure all the chapters are there, I go though the chapter list one by one, (By simply clicking on the 'chapter one' list in element browser (The text will jump to that point int he book an I can check to make sure the real chapter title appears below each 'chapter' title. Sometimes the real chapter title is there but not assigned a sa subtitle so i highlight TAHT and use the corrector panel to change that to a subtitle. This way im sure the real chapter titles wil be there when i use element browser to find the subtitles, the REAL chapter titles, the text just below the chapter title 'chapter 5' etc are assigned as subtitles. So.. I click through the subtitles and make sure that every one has the words chapter 8' or whatever above them., Sometimes element browser will assign other text as subtitles so I just use the 'verse' tool and highlight any text that is assigned as a subtitle that you dont want to eventually be the real chapter titles as a verse. (It will deselect those words as subtitles and make them a verse, or whatever you want to do to deselect that text as a subtitle. Once you have all the real chapter titles assigned as subtitles you can (If the text doesnt already have the chapter titles listed in a table of contents.. Open a notepad file and type in all the chapter titles by having element browser find the subtitles. (Remember by now they are the real chapter titles.. Then copy and paste the notepad list to the 'contents page at the top of your book... You can use element browser to find the titles and they will be 'Chapter one' chapter 2 etc. Now highlight the top one on the list in element browser hit shift, select the bottom one. it will highlight the entire list, then use the pull down list at the bottom of the element browser tool where it says, reformat selected elements as.. and you go to delete.. hit button,, all those 'chapter 7 etc titles are gone! Then use the element browser to find subtitles (Your real chapter titles Highlight all, then use the reformatting tool at the bottom of the element browser window to change all THOSE to Titles. Walla! You have as your chapter titles all the real titles and have rid yourself of the "Chapter 4" text in about 2 minutes flat instead of scrolling through the text and doing it lal manually. I saved an hour doing this on Les Miserables after the program crashed the other day and i lost an hour of tediously doing this manually without saving my work.

You can then use element browser to find all empty paragraphs, it wont find real paragraph breaks just empty ones where someone hit return twice or sometimes html text or txt files are formatted with more than one line break between paragraphs. ... Find empty paragraphs, select all by clicking top one and bottom one with shift held down... use pull down reformatting tool to delete all those and all the text in the book will be nice and tight and tidy.. Sweet trick

I hope that was as clear as mud.

Last edited by Roy White; 05-28-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote