View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Don't output straight to PDF. Never, ever do that with a scanner. Scan them as images, and once you have the images, process them (I recommend Scan Tailor), then wrap them up in a PDF using Adobe Acrobat or something similar.

OCR-ing text with FineReader works just as well with JPG, PNG or TIFF. I recommend JPG (80-85% compression), since they take up less space, and the error rate isn't any different than TIFF or PNG. In fact, if the image is too clean it can have a negative impact - such as detecting smudges, dust, printing defects as commas, dots or accents. JPG will "smooth" them out a bit and the OCR is actually a bit better. I only scan as TIFF (600 dpi) the pages that contain graphics.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote