View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Smile An Observation on Fonts - Improving readability by using *bold* versions of fonts

I recently purchased a used Cybook Opus. While I was poking around on it, I noticed that the previous owner had apparently added some fonts to it. While I was trying the different fonts, I noticed that one, Apple Garamond, had excellent contrast, with thick, easily-read letters.

When I looked in the fonts folder and opened the TTF file, I realized that they had only added the bold version of the font, so the device was forced to default to that version.

So, I went and tried fonts that I had previously tested on my Kobo Touch, but had found unreadable. In the case of the Kobo, I simply took a bold version of a font, deleted the "-bold" part from the file name, and copied it over the normal default. (So basically, the normal and bold versions were exactly the same.)

I found that a LOT of fonts that I had previously discarded were now quite useful. In some cases, they look TOO chunky--Vollkorn being one such example--but many of them looked great.

So if you're using one of the many readers that allow you to load your own fonts, I would encourage some experimentation, to see what you come up with.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote