View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
What I wanted was to transfer all the books which I purchase from Amazon from one Kindle to the other. I assume they all have DRM. That's not the point. The point is that they don't have a mechanism to do this other than one at a time. As far as I'm concerned this is yet another serious deficiency in their book management and organization. As much as I adore my Kindle, I believe that if Amazon doesn't come up with a better way to organize ebooks, some other competitor will. At the very least, on the PC at Amazon.com, I should be able to select multiple books from my own ebook collection and download them with a single click.
Why am I bothering to write this? For one thing, in case someone else wants to do this, they don't have to waste their time with customer service on the phone and also in the feeble hope that someone at Amazon will read this and suggest that perhaps they should make a few improvements? After all, they want people to purchase more books. The more books you have the more critical it is to be able organize them.

Three cheers for Calibre for tackling a lot of the problem. Sadly it doesn't help with this particular one. But that's not their fault.
Actually there are many DRM free books on Amazon (nearly 40% of them if my Google search is accurate), but there's no easy way to tell which are which, and they are likely to be less popular.

I think the easiest way is to use the web interface, but on Kindle itself, instead of pushing the Select button when an item is 'highlighted', which immediately starts to download the item and then opens it, taking you away from the Archived Items list and forcing you to navigate your way back there, push the 5way to the right (or however you would put it). This will reveal the 'add to home' option. THEN push Select. It will add it to the download queue while leaving you on the archived items list, where you can repeat the process for the next item on the list immediately. It will make the process of getting the books you want on your new Kindle much much quicker.

And I assume you know that Collections from your old Kindle can be added to your new one with the 'Add Other Device Collections' option at the top of the Archived Items list.

Also you might want to give Amazon CS another try. I've heard of people in the same situation having the rep offer to push the content to the new Kindle from Amazon's end.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote