View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post

Here is a more contentious issue. In my opinion, single use ebook reader's, Kindle, etc. will go the way of the Dodo or, at best, have limited sales. The info. phone will, inevitably, take over. Kids are used to reading small screens, so "Why bother with the clutter and expense of having yet another piece of kit?"
no - IMHO - because the phones trend towards miniaturisation, ebooks are trending towards larger screens.

the phone gizmo has to fit in pocket/handbag yet have lots of uses.
the e-reader has to emulate/be better than a paper or hardback book.
a big gripe with most current e-readers is poor pdf display because they simply are not big enough. . I'd love a proper A4 sized e-reader but refuse to pay the extortionate price of a prev. gen Kindle DX..

I am not of the i-thingie generation & the desire to watch hi-def movies etc on a three inch screen baffles me, but I see room in market for different sized devices. I am definitely in the market for an A4 reader with e-ink + long battery life - with colour as a not-essential nice to have. I have stuff like music scores, game strategy guides that just dont work on current e-readers because of size/colour issues.

so telephony & audio goes onto the tiny gizmo, books & video onto the medium sized one....as for video-phoning...dunno, don't much care...

what's unlikely to change, in my generation anyway - is that getting older -> poorer eyesight -> need for larger gadgets.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote