View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I wonder what is the preferences of the readers here. To omnibus blocks of stories/novels or not. I started out with not omnibusing but I am changing my mind.

What say ye, o wise and learned readers of MobileRead?
I'm neither wise nor learned, but put me down for separates instead of omnibuses for everything except collections of stories too short to be considered even novellas.

I appreciate the implicit inclusion of reading order, but I don't like books to be overly large for a number of reasons:

1) generally harder for the reading device to handle (although this matters less over time)
2) ereader software occasionally crashes; it's easier to find my place in a small book than in book 2 of 15 in an omnibus
3) easier file management for me; I'm one of those people whose reading stack *is* the reader... I delete books off the device as they are read but I can't do that with collections. That leads to me feeling like I'm slogging through a book forever because it is so long. I guess I geet some weird psychological feeling of progress as I finish and nuke books off my ereader
4) More covers and titles; I have trouble remembering whether certain books are in particular omnibus volumes. Having all the titles available in the regular library view is handier for me most of the time
5) harder to flip back and forth between stories in an omnibus; if you read more than one book at a time (in different time slices obviously) you have to juggle your bookmark management with more attention when reading an omnibus. With separate books I just let the ereader remember where I left off.
6) cleaner source; when I assemble books, I have enough patience and concentration to clean up and proof one book, but not an entire series all at once. I believe that the quality of books at the beginning of an omnibus edition is likely better than that at the end.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote