View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #65
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1Wulf
I tried reinstalling Book Designer on my (relatively) fresh install of Vista (32-bit) last night anticipating that I will need it very soon, but I just couldn't get it to produce anything (Reader, RTF). I could load the files OK and read them in the main window of BD, but everything I tried failed miserably. I apologize for not taking notes on error messages, screenshots, or anything else that might of been useful, but it was quite late (which certainly didn't help), I was tired and I just wanted it installed so I could go to bed. I tried installing 4.0, then copying the 4.5 (?) update and the 5.0 update into the program directory. I also tried 4.0 to 4.5 (which failed to even run). And a straight 4.0 install. Last, I tried 4.0 to 5.0 (skipping 4.5) and still had no luck.

This morning I was determined to get it to work. I tried "run as Administrator" (from the program directory since there was no option to do it from the desktop icon). I tried changing the output directories to a folder under the user namespace (c:\Users\L1Wulf\BDOutput\Reader and so on). Finally, I uninstalled, searched again through the wiki and this post to see if I was missing something obvious. I went to the Book Designer Blog (after translating of course ) and downloaded the Reader Parser and took a deep breath...

This time around, I installed directly into the user namespace (c:\users\L1Wulf\BookDesigner), did the 4.5 and 5.0 updates and copied the new parser over. I changed the output directories to the user namespace again. I should have tried it after this, but I didn't, instead I went to the configuration settings and selected reformat completely (on a whim) then I loaded a book and gave it a shot. It worked! I went back to configuration settings and reset everything to defaults (are the defaults on fresh install different from what is set by clicking "default"--it seemed to me that it changed more than what I did originally) and tried again... and again it worked.

I don't know what I did right this time, but it is working now and I am again a happy reader. I haven't fooled around much with it yet, but from what I've seen just on the make ebook screen and the corrector sidebar, I'm duly impressed.

VVV, thanks for making such an incredible and powerful application for everyone to enjoy!
It's due to the file protection on "Program Files". Not even administrator can write to files there (only "installer") and BookDesigner does a lot of temp file writing. The best bet is always to install it somewhere in user space.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote