View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It is a separate partition, so even if you erase it, it will still be there. Sony put it there to make setting up a new reader faster.
Sony didn't put it there to make things faster, they made it to not have to add a setup CD.

The 2 volumes were allready there on the 600. The 505 came with a CD and therefore only has 1 volume.

Just ejecting a drive in finder or explorer doesn't make it go away.
I'm not sure where exactly Sony locates the firmware, but I didn't have the guts to merge the 2 volumes. If you merge them and the firmware is on any of the volumes, it could be messed up and render the reader useless (at least you would have to flash the reader with the firmware again).

So far I never heard of anyone who had merged his volumes. But I agree that it's an annoyance. On win based systems (if you don't use sonys library software), you have to eject 2 drives before you can "safely remove" the drive. But then, if there ain't no read or write access, you can also just remove without ejecting.

Using the eject button within sonys software ejects both drives at once.

Hope this clears things up a little
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote