View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #55
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm afraid I'm one of the 'I don't read horror' brigade. My own wee house doesn't touch the genre. I found Jan's *Risen* when I was specifically scouting for books in that catagory to see if I should re-evaluate my prejudice of forty years' standing.

Jan's piece knocked my socks off because it was so grounded. The paranormal element crept into a fine running story with stealth, in full camouflage dress. I couldn't classify it as what I understood 'horror' to be.

So I'm now unsure about 'horror' being a valid catagory in itself. What reading *Risen* taught me is that it's a far too generalised genre and merits further qualification.

And this is a retail-imposed convenience that also leads books in other fixed catagories to be forced uncomfortably into a single available pigeonhole. Genre-defining restrictions are frustrating to the publisher and confusing and often misleading to the book browser.

I wonder if, during the discussion, somone might come up with a realistic sub-catagory for a 'horror' book that breaks the mold. Perhaps a two-word phrase that could be used by publishers, agents and indie authors to more accurately describe a work.

The current system of tagging a title in several established slots is broken. Had I been running *Risen* as a BeWrite Books title, I would have been forced, for instance, to tag it: horror/crime/lit-fic/mystery/zombies/romance/thriller/political corruption/police abuse/psychological/etc. Each alone would be off-target; together they help retailers and online searches, but confound the potential reader.

Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote