View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderfox View Post
In earlier versions of Sigil, a file was included that you had to run to install the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime components in Windows. Although it is as far as I know no longer included with Sigil, you could installing that. Perhaps it'll work. See here.
It's not the MSVC 6.0 runtime, far from it. It is the MSVC 9.0 runtime, and it is still included in the Sigil installer. Why it fails to install on some systems when it installs just fine on most of them is beyond me.

This FAQ item covers this. Install one of the linked components by hand.

But the saving issue is not caused by that. The people for whom the runtime fails to install can't even start Sigil. The crash-on-save problem is caused by ZipArchive throwing an exception because it can't create the ZIP archive (the epub file) for some reason. I believe it's a permissions issue, but I honestly don't know. I can't get it to reproduce on my system, or any other I've tried.

In Sigil 0.2.0, an exception handling system is in place and Sigil shouldn't crash on this anymore. It will output a message describing why the saving failed. When that happens, the users will be able to report the message on the tracker (it also contains some debug info) and then I'll be able to figure out what's going on. That's the idea at least.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote