View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #330
alpreston
alpreston began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've been getting varied results on several systems. Unfortunately my main system with Kubuntu 13.10 on it just died (motherboard problem, I think). I had it set up to dual boot either 32- and 64-bit versions of Kubuntu. I had Kobo desktop 2.16 on the 32-bit partition and 3.04 on the 64-bit. The letter did connect with my Kobo account, but not the reader - and it wouldn't display books in my library. I removed it and installed desktop 2.13, but had problems with that, too. I've got version 2.16 on a laptop running Kubuntu 13.10 32-bit and on another machine running Mint 14 64-bit. The last was a fresh install of Kobo Desktop. On the Mint machine, I can access my account and download books and connect to my reader.

One caveat: I have never been able to get Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 to work. I'm using an earlier version of that software, running under Wine.

If you haven't already done so, try starting Kobo from a terminal session and see what error messages it gives you. I discovered it wasn't finding some of the libraries it needs even though they were installed, because it was looking for the truncated form of the library name, (e.g. libQtSolutions_SingleApplication-2.6.so) - creating symlinks to the full name (e.g. libQtSolutions_SingleApplication-2.6.so.1.0.0 ) sorted that problem out. Some of the libraries it needs are in the Trolltech directory rather than the Kobo directory.

I'm still trying to work out some minor issues in getting my reader to sync with the desktop app on my laptop, though that's on the proverbial backburner while I deal with my main system's crash.
alpreston is offline   Reply With Quote