View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
(Mobile) WiMax and readers

I was very impressed by the specs of iRex iLiad e-book reader. It's very exciting time having all those readers come out finally. I think e-ink is the most important technology in the next ten years or so.

One way to expand the features of the readers will be putting in broadband wireless connectivity. By doing so, you can download books anywhere, anytime and you can access other informations such as e-mails, news, etc.

Currenty, mobile WiMax service (or WiBro) is tried in Korea and some other countries are showing interests. Mobile WiMax is somewhat different from WiMax in that it is targeted at mobile users rather than the broadband connection at home. In my opinion, it's a better solution than cellular solutions in terms of costs and performance. (Of course, exact numbers will only be available after the commercial launch of the service.)

I'm currently involved in the development of the mobile WiMax devices and I'd like to know weather the iRex or other companies making readers will be interested in the technology. I'm just an engineer, so can't talk about how the business will be conducted. But if they are interested I can talk to business people in my company and also possiblty service providers and contents providers in Korea.

My e-mail to iRex wasn't returned. So I assume they are not interested?

Anyway, what's your opinion on putting this kind of access capability in the readers?
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote