View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I will try to describe the steps.

1. Do a factory reset.

2. (Shut down the kobo desktop application in case it is running.) Connect the KT to the computer

3. Next comes the activation. There are 2 alternative ways of doing it without allowing the KT to update to most recent version:
3.1. first alternative:
3.1.1. open the file KoboReader.sqlite in directory "\.kobo" of the KT with the SQLite Database Browser (link). Select the tab "Execute SQL", copy into the text field with the title "SQL string:" the following line
Code:
insert into USER values("foo", "foo", "foo", "foo", "foo");
(source: http://ccoffing.net/tech/embedded/kobo/)

Press the button "Execute query". If you did it right, the database engine will answer with "no error". Save and exit.
If you use another database editor you will surly know or find out how to achieve the same result.
---
3.2. second alternative (if you don't like dealing with the database); I never did it this way, but I am rather confident it works
3.2.1. activate the KT with the kobo desktop application, but don't eject the KT
3.2.2. delete the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum", and the folder"upgrade" from the KT's ".kobo\" folder. (Actually, this point is redundant, since we are going to overwrite those things in the next step anyway. But I feel the procedure becomes more transparent in this way.) If there is a subfolder "dict" you can delete this folder too, since 1.9.17 does not use it.
---
4. Preparing the update
4.1. Extract the content of "kobo3-update-1.9.17.zip". You will get the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum", and the folder "upgrade"
4.2. Copy this three items to the KT's ".kobo\" folder.

5. Eject the KT, remove it from the computer, and hope that everything goes fine!

This description is correct (in terms of content, not English grammar) to the best of my knowledge. If I did some mistake, the worst thing that can happen is, that you have to reset the KT anew.

Last edited by tshering; 11-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote