View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #132
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
would i be the other one ?
Not that I know of. But I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in French, anyway.

Try these two sentences:

"It strikes me that there aren't enough cabinets in this kitchen."

"Something strikes me that there aren't enough cabinets in this kitchen."

The use of the word "it" in the first sentence is known as the "pleonastic it." That's a regular feature of English. Very few people (apparently, based on an informal poll of linguistics graduate students in the 1990's) think the second sentence is natural-sounding. It's ok from my point of view, and that exact sentence was uttered by a friend of mine (while looking at the cabinets in his kitchen, naturally). Perhaps I should start an unutterably silly poll to determine what proportion of Mobileread members would allow that sentence as grammatical.

Now, someone can complain and vent that we've thoroughly derailed this thread about complaining and venting....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote