View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Has anyone switched from Kindle to another ereader?

I've been using the Kindle eink device and various Kindle apps since April 2010 and have found it to be a great reading experience. For reasons I can't totally explain, I don't want to buy books from Amazon any longer.

If you were in this situation would you keep the Kindle 3, buy books elsewhere and strip the drm to make them readable on the Kindle, or buy a different reader (for instance the Sony reader that will be released soon, which allows wireless downloading of library books/books from the Sony store) and transfer old books as needed from my Kindle archive? Because I pick up a lot of freebies and sale books, I have quite a collection in my Kindle archives--1,000+ books at this point. I suppose I could also keep both devices...I already have a Sony Pocket reader that I bought last fall when only epub books were available through libraries. I've read only a handful of books on the Sony since the screen is small and it's a pain to transfer books, plus the only computer that I have the reader software is a slow, ancient laptop (the others are running Linux).

I don't like the idea of DRM but at the same time, I like the convenience of having all my books stored in the cloud and synching across devices. I also understand that Amazon is releasing an update for the Kindle 3 that allows you to sync personal documents across devices which I think I could take advantage of if I stripped the DRM and converted books to .mobi format.
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote