View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
jdanniel
jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Okay now we are getting somewhere. Let's talk for a moment about sideloading.

I'm a little confused about the semantics of the term. I was under the impression that sideloading meant manually placing data onto the device using a wired connection, or by using external storage such as an SD card or USB Flash Drive.

The Google Nexus 7 has no capacity for external storage, so let's use my own device as an example. Instead of using an SD card or USB flash drive, I'd have to hook the tablet up to my desktop PC via the MicroUSB cable.

I could then see the file structure on my desktop PC, and copy the MOBI file somewhere to the tablet, using Windows Explorer.

Am I right so far?

But you mentioned Dropbox. That confuses me. Can we discuss this in a bit more detail? I'm a little lost once the word Dropbox is brought into the conversation.

Let me see if I understand it. Dropbox is just one of several ways for people to obtain my MOBI file. Is that what you are saying? But no matter how someone obtains my file, they'll still have to sideload it manually, by hooking their device up to their PC? Or via SC Card/USB?

I'm not 100% if that's what you mean. I can't just put something in Dropbox and someone can view the file in Kindle simply by accessing that file in Dropbox?

I don't think that's what you mean, but I want to be sure. I think what you're saying is that no matter whether they get the file from Dropbox or my web site, the bottom line is it has to be sideloaded in order to view it?

I'm pretty sure anyone can access the MOBI file via Kindle Store, but I'd have to go through Kindle Direct Publishing to do that, and I'm far, far from ready to do that.

Sideloading manually is the only way to go, for now? Jd
jdanniel is offline   Reply With Quote