View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
wow just wow. This only demonstrates to me how clueless this guy (industry?) is about technology.
That was my first thought. He's either clueless, or blatantly lying. I wouldn't be surprised if the publishers are hoping that they can keep the extra savings, rather than pass them on to the customers. Either that or they're afraid of ebooks and are trying to kill them before they become mainstream.

It may be a similar issue to the music industry. I suspect the RIAA isn't trying to sue people because they care about the individual infringers. What they're really trying to do is kill P2P sharing through intimidation/fear because they consider it a competitor. Their real fear is that when it becomes easy for musicians to promote/distribute their own material on the internet, the RIAA companies won't be necessary anymore. They don't really care about Joe Schmoe distributing a couple files, but they're terrified that Metallica will decide to go independent.

It's probably not quite as bad with publishers, but they may be afraid of a time when their function is reduced to being editors.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote